Monday, May 10, 2010

Lamb, we don't need no stinkin' Lamb

Time to scrap those stocked up Lamb Jerseys in the back of the Witch Doctor's team shop, we've got a new Ace in town. When Lamb was originally dealt, there was no doubt Salem was heading into the offseason with 30 mil in tow to lure Lamb back to town. However, a funny thing happened on the way to the opera, err....next offseason. A combination of injuries, and young IFA signings had Pittsburgh rethinking their 'window' and this season's key offseason acquisition, Sandy Murphy was quitely put on the Trade List. When the inquiry was made, much to Salem's suprise, Murphy was indeed on the market and available at a price Salem was willing to pay (ie two young pitchers). However, Sandy's big contract left little room in Salem's buget. Thankfully we had a contract to move, that Pittsburgh was willing to take w/ the bonus that the contract (Roland Rivers) was likely to be a type A free agent, netting the rebuilding Pranksters 2 extra draft picks next season.

With all of this in agreement, Salem still needed to wait until post draft in order to move some additional money into the major league buget from the prospect buget to make everything work financially. However, an interesting offer was made to Salem that spurred a quest to free up extra cash immediatly and make the move for Murphy now before anyone else could sneek in and take him off of Pittsburgh's hands. The trade request was looking to add one of the key players from my original deal w/ Pittsburgh (Clay Wigginton), but was willing to take an albatross of a contract off our hands in exchange for a very solid 2nd baseman. On its own merits, I never would have made the deal, but knowing it would lead to brining Murphy to town, it was time for exceptions. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh wasn't willing to come off its demands of Wigginton, a stance I couldn't really argue with as I would have held firm myself if I was them, so we were stuck at an impass until the draft could happen and money could be moved.

However, looking at Ron Douglas' future contract and limited role on my staff, added to the desire to get Murphy into the fold as quick as possible we went on a quest. Never have I made some many offers at once or combed thru the oppositions potential needs like I did with this deal, but using Manny Norman's future all-star catcher status as trade bait to get Douglas' contract off our hands (6 mil the next 2 seasons). At one point we had 6 offers out to 6 different teams. 1 was rejected, a dealt to KC was withdrawn, and the other 4 remained in limbo. Thankfully Houston's earlier interest in Norman proved true and they were willing to trade me a left handed batting (but right handed throwing) second baseman that I think will fill nicely on the bench over the next couple of seasons and a relief prospect who may (and I stress the word may) make the majors one day for a cup of coffee. W/ that deal accepted, the previous offer from Pittsburgh that had been sitting in my inbox for a week was accepted and all that waited was league approval.

So how did we do? Combine the Lamb deal into these 2 as my main acquisitions this season and here is what we got, and here's what we lost:

Murphy vs Lamb? Overall, these 2 area bout equal. Lamb is probably a touch better w/ his 80+ velocity compared to Muprhy's low 30's velocity, but both pitch deep into games, w/ a great array of pitches and effectiveness vs both lefties and righties w/ a lot of sink.

Chad_Lamb vs Sandy_Murphy

Pablo Bonilla v Yorvit Johnson. Pablo is one of the top, if not the best reliever in Ripken, Jr. Johnson has a great future and is obviously cheap, but Pablo comes out on top no matter how you slice this one.

Pablo_Bonilla vs Yorvitt_Johnson

Eugene Garcia v Esmailyn Nunez...I love Garcia as my future CF, but at the time I had some pause over these 2, thinking them about equal. Nunez should also be a solid CF, if he falls short of his SS potential, and honestly, their potential bats looked close to equal. However, as I look at 2 cycles of improvements, Garcia has improved a bit in several areas, while Nunez has remained stagnant. I would have assumed that Nunez would have kept improving at a solid pace in his 3rd season, but if he's going to stay where he's at, I'll definently take Garcia every day of the week.

Gene_Garcia vs Esmailyn_Nunez

Terry Lewis, Craig Bell, Sean Lasker v Manny Norman, Ron Douglas, Barry Vickers and Clay Wigginton.... Obviously the guys I gave away in this group blow away the guys I got in this group, but these are the guys I gave up to gain advantages in the groupings above. Terry Lewis should provide solid at bats from the left side for many years to come. I don't know if either Craig Bell or Lasker make the majors, but I think both get there, and I think Bell could give some solid setup innings. I love Manny Norman, but that is easily my deepest position in the minors, so giving him to someone that can use him won't hurt us long term too much. Lossing Vickers & Wigginton hurts, and leaves us w/ very little young starting pitchers in the minors. But w/ all 5 of my current starters locked up for several more seasons to come, there wasn't going to be much room in the rotation in a few years.

Terry_lewis Sean_Lasker Craig_Bell vs

Manny_Norman Ron_Douglas Clay_Wigginton Barry_Vickers Roland_Rivers

Douglas is solid, and while I made mention of his salary, it wasn't too far off what I think he's worth. Hopefully Houston can flip him for a couple of pitchers, I know he can help someone down the stretch run the next couple of years. Overall, as I look at these 3 trades as a group, I think things balance out pretty well. We gave up a ton, we got a ton. While I was optomistic that I could land Lamb on the open market next year, there was no garuntee that he wouldn't change his mind and resign w/ Anaheim at seasons end, or that my max offer would have been good enough for him, or for any of the other big 4 pitchers potentially on the market next season. Since I consider Murphy a rough equal to Lamb, a season older, but more likely to re-up at contracts end due to his high patience rating (Similar to Jesus Fernedez on my current staff) I'll be pretty happy no matter how much Lamb signs for next offseason.

With the acquistion of Murphy we no longer need to go after a staff ace next offseason. However a big bat is needed for an offense that has been stuck in mediocrity for a season + now, and by moving Douglas, combined w/ some other buget moves should enable us to free up 30 mil to add that big bat to the lineup. I hear Phillip Cashman likes purple and black. Hope he likes the great northwest.

No comments: